RV PICKLERS – A MUST FOR RV’ers
North Carolina Pickleball
Special RV Edition by RV Picklers
OLD LADIES GET AROUND
It seemed to fit. We are two retired women in our early 60’s. In fact in less than one month, we qualify for the National Parks Senior Pass. Ya-hoo! Here are the top 10 things you need to know about OLGA, and the two of us:
- OLGA is a 2015 Renegade Villagio 25 QRS. She was a “left-over”, so though we bought her new, we didn’t get hit with all the depreciation.
- OLGA is our second motorhome, though we have been rv-ing for only one year. The first was a 2014 Forest River Sunseeker 2250 that we bought from a lovely couple on CraigsList. I was certain we would be re-selling it on CraigsList after our first trip. But after a 6 week trip, we decided we liked “camping”. The size really wasn’t too small, we just wanted more creature comforts. Think “glamping”. So we bought OLGA, who despite the numbers is only 11″ longer than the Sunseeker. Who makes up these numbering schemes anyway.
- We don’t tow…yet? Denise thinks we will. I continue to insist that bikes, an occasional car rental and mooching off friends is all we need.
- Denise is a retired navy nurse and golf professional. Because of Denise’s service we can utilize military FamCamps as we travel from place to place. We love FamCamps!
- Denise is a very good, natural athlete. She first played pickleball in 2004, but got serious in 2010 and quickly became a 5.0 player based on USAPA tournament ratings. She was one of those unfortunate players to be re-ranked mid-tournament. Supposedly that doesn’t happen anymore.
- Nancy is a retired medical computer sales person. The fact that she sold computers for 30 years makes some think she knows something about them. This is not true. In fact figuring how to create this page has taken all day despite using WordPress tools and templates.
- Nancy is a good, note I didn’t say very good, athlete and has been playing since 2006, getting serious around 2010. She is currently ranked as a 4.0 player by the USAPA.
- Nancy has been laid up for a while. Attempting arthroscopic surgery, various injections and stem cell therapy to repair two really bad knees. She had both knees replaced in February 2015 and is just now starting to play again. Note to parents: don’t encourage your sons or daughters to be softball/baseball catchers. 29 years of squatting kills your knees. (Disclaimer: I am not a health professional.)
- We both play in tournaments. Sometimes together…sometimes with other partners. It is a work in progress. I’m sure many of you other married couples can relate.
- Denise and I own a home in The Villages, FL. And yes, The Villages really does have over 160 dedicated pickleball courts. We don’t have plans to become full-time RV-ers. But you never know. For now, we do plan to travel a lot, and expect to share our adventures with you here.
Visit their fantastic web site at http://rvpicklers.com/